Same-day crowns are a revolutionary dental technology that allows patients to place a crown in just one visit. Single-visit crowns can be customized to fit your teeth and bite while providing a natural-looking and comfortable solution.
While traditional crowns may still be necessary in some cases, same-day crowns are a game changer for patients seeking a fast, convenient, and high-quality option for dental crowns. Traditional crowns used to take weeks to create and require multiple appointments, but thanks to same-day crowns, you can get a stunning new crown in just one visit.
While traditional crowns still have their place, same-day crowns are the ultimate solution for those seeking convenience and quality. Not only are they more efficient, but they’re also built to last and can improve the look and function of your teeth for up to 10 years. Are same-day crowns as good as they sound? Let’s find out.
“Based on a survey, most patients (more than 70%) reported that the convenience and speed of same-day crowns played a significant role in their treatment choice”.
What Are Same-Day Crowns?
If you require a dental crown to restore a damaged or decayed tooth, you may have heard about same-day crowns. This modern dental treatment has become popular due to its convenience and efficiency. But what are same-day crowns, and how do they differ from traditional crowns?
Same-day crowns are custom-made dental crowns that can be fabricated and placed in just one dental visit. Unlike traditional crowns, which require multiple appointments over several weeks, same-day crowns use advanced computer-aided design and manufacturing technology to create a precise 3D digital model of your tooth.
They offer a fast, effective, high-quality solution for restoring damaged teeth. This model is then used to design and mill a ceramic crown on-site, which is placed and adjusted to fit the tooth in a few hours. If you need a dental crown, talk to your dentist about whether same-day crowns suit you.
How Do Same-Day Crowns Differ from Traditional Crowns?
Same-day crowns and traditional crowns differ in the following ways:
- Timeframe: Same-day crowns can be completed in just one visit, while traditional crowns require at least two dental visits scheduled weeks apart.
- Fabrication: Same-day crowns use computer-aided design and manufacturing technology, which allows them to be made on-site at the dental office. In contrast, an off-site dental lab typically fabricates traditional crowns.
- Temporary crowns: The fabrication of the permanent crown in a lab requires patients with traditional crowns to wear a temporary crown typically. Same-day crowns eliminate the need for temporary crowns.
- Tooth preparation: Same-day crowns require less tooth structure removal than traditional crowns, which helps preserve the natural tooth.
- Accuracy: Dentists obtain measurements of a patient’s mouth with digital scans to create a perfectly fitting same-day crown. Traditional crowns may need to be more detailed due to the use of physical impressions.
- Cost: Same-day crowns may be slightly more expensive than traditional crowns due to the advanced technology and materials used in their fabrication.
Overall, same-day crowns offer several advantages over traditional crowns, including convenience, accuracy, and preservation of natural tooth structure.
What are the Benefits of Same Day Crowns?
- Convenience: Completing same-day crowns in a single dental visit saves patients time and eliminates the need for multiple appointments.
- Preservation of tooth structure: Same-day crowns require less removal of tooth structure than traditional crowns, which helps preserve the natural tooth. Additionally, it helps maintain the tooth’s strength and integrity and reduces the risk of future dental problems.
- Accuracy of fit: Same-day crowns use computer-aided design and manufacturing technology, which ensures a precise and accurate fit for damaged or decayed teeth.
- Aesthetics: Same-day crowns can be customized to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, providing a more natural and aesthetically pleasing result. It helps to restore the appearance of the smile and boosts confidence.
- Reduced discomfort: Because same-day crowns require fewer dental visits and less tooth drilling, patients may experience less pain and sensitivity during and after the procedure.
Same Day Crowns Vs. Traditional Crowns – Which Is Better?
Whether same-day or traditional crowns are better depends on your needs and circumstances. Same-day crowns are a good option for patients who want to save time and avoid multiple dental appointments. They are also beneficial for patients who wish to preserve their natural tooth structure as much as possible since less drilling is required to prepare the tooth for the crown.
Traditional crowns may be a better option for patients who require a more complex or customized crown. Conventional crowns can be fabricated in a dental lab, allowing for more intricate designs and materials. Additionally, traditional crowns are a more cost-effective option for some patients since they are less expensive than same-day crowns.
Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific dental needs and priorities. It’s important to discuss your options with your dentist and weigh the pros and cons of each type of crown before deciding.
Are you a Candidate for Same-day Crowns?
Only some people are candidates for same-day crowns, as the procedure requires a healthy tooth structure and good oral health. Your dentist will evaluate your specific situation to determine if you are a suitable candidate. Here are some factors that may make you a good candidate for same-day crowns:
- Good oral health: You should have healthy teeth and gums, free from decay or gum disease. If you have any oral health issues, your dentist will address them before you can receive a same-day crown.
- Sufficient tooth structure: You must have enough tooth structure remaining to support the crown. You may need a traditional crown or other dental restoration if your tooth is severely damaged or decayed.
- Time constraints: Same-day crowns are an excellent option for those with limited time and who need help making multiple dental appointments. If you have a busy schedule, same-day crowns may be a more convenient option for you.
- Cosmetic concerns: If you want to improve your smile’s appearance, same-day crowns can be customized to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, providing a seamless and natural look.
It’s important to remember that every case is unique, and your dentist will need to evaluate your specific situation to determine if same-day crowns suit you. Otherwise, he may recommend a traditional crown or other dental restoration for better results.
The Steps During a Same-Day Crown Procedure
If you are a candidate for same-day crowns, you might be interested in the steps involved in its procedure. The process of getting same-day crowns typically involves the following steps:
- Evaluation: Your dentist will examine your tooth to determine if it suits a same-day crown. He will take x-rays and use a digital scanner to create a 3D image of your tooth.
- Preparation: Your dentist will then prepare your tooth for the same-day crown by removing any decay or damage and shaping it to fit the crown.
- Digital Scanning: Your dentist will use a digital scanner to create a 3D image of your tooth.
- Design: Your dentist will use the virtual model to design your same-day crown. He will adjust the shape, size, and color to ensure the crown looks natural and blends in with your other teeth.
- Milling: A milling machine receives the design, which uses a block of ceramic material to create your same-day crown. This process typically takes around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Placement: Once the crown is ready, your dentist will check the fit and make any necessary adjustments. He will then bond the crown to your tooth using a unique adhesive.
- Final touches: Your dentist may make some final adjustments to ensure the crown fits comfortably and looks natural. He will then polish the crown to give it a smooth, natural appearance.
Getting same-day crowns typically takes just a few hours, allowing you to leave your dentist’s office with a fully restored smile.
Say goodbye to the hassle of multiple dental appointments and welcome the convenience of same-day crowns. With the latest technology and materials, you can get a custom-fitted crown in just one visit without sacrificing quality or aesthetics.
Whether you need to restore a damaged tooth or improve your smile, same-day crowns offer a quick and effective solution that will leave you confident and comfortable. Don’t wait weeks for a traditional crown; experience the benefits of a same-day crown by visiting your dentist today.
Contact your Walnut Creek Dentist, Dr. Tiziana Procopio Towle, DDS at Procopio Towle Dental Office, to know more about Same-Day Crowns.
The Benefits of Same-Day Crowns
*This media/content or any other on this website does not prescribe, recommend, or prevent any treatment or procedure. Therefore, we highly recommend that you get the advice of a qualified dentist or other medical practitioners regarding your specific dental condition*