A radiant smile is one of the first things other people notice about you, and the feature they are most likely to remember. Factors such as heredity, time, or lifestyle can leave your teeth looking dingy, and this can be treated with professional teeth whitening. The dental team at Procopio Towle Dental Office in Walnut Creek offers a gentle, effective method to make your smile glow.
Traditional take-home teeth whitening
Our clinical team provides a personalized whitening experience that you can do at home:
- Impressions are taken of your mouth to create custom trays. These appliances are made of smooth plastic, for a snug, comfortable fit.
- You are given a supply of prescription strength bleaching gel. This higher concentration is not available in over-the-counter products.
- Fill the trays with the whitening formulation and wear them for about an hour a day. Some patients prefer to whiten through the night.
- If you have very sensitive teeth, a special buffering ingredient can be added, or the treatment schedule may be adjusted.
- You begin to see results after a few treatments, and continue to whiten until teeth reach the level of brilliance you desire.
- Use the kit periodically to maintain your gorgeous bright smile indefinitely.
The science behind teeth whitening
Tooth enamel looks solid, but it contains tubules. These microscopic channels go through enamel to the dentin layer underneath. Pigments from foods, beverages, and tobacco get trapped in tubules as well as scratches in enamel. In addition, enamel thins as we age, allowing yellowish dentin to show through.
We provide a teeth whitening product formulated with carbamide peroxide. Oxygen molecules in the gel react with pigments, breaking stains up and lifting them from enamel. With the oversight of a trained dental team, this treatment safely restores and exceeds natural whiteness.
I’ve tried whitening my teeth and it just didn’t work!
Sometimes the stain on your teeth can be very deep. This can be a result of a childhood injury, a side effect of antibiotics, or just natural color variation. In these cases, the best option to give yourself a new smile are veneers. Veneers are thin porcelain “jackets” that cover your teeth and block out unwanted stains. Click here to learn more about veneers.