Preventive Dentistry

Dental hygiene and preventive care is essential for healthy smiles

The clinical team at Procopio Towle Dental Office are dedicated to helping you avoid oral problems, with hygiene and preventive care services. Our dentists emphasize that healthy at-home habits backed by regularly-scheduled dental visits are vital to oral health. This provides an opportunity for cleaning where brushing and flossing may have missed, as well as examination by trained professionals. This aspect can be important for catching developing problems early and resolving them before they become more severe. Plus, your smile will sparkle.

Procopio Towle Dental Office cares for patients with products and services designed to preserve good health. This will decrease the need for many restorative and perhaps even cosmetic dental procedures in the future. Despite the best of care, concerns can and do still present themselves; but with our prompt and attentive care, we will have you back to yourself, quickly and in the most minimally invasive way possible. By visiting us on a regular basis and not waiting for an emergency to arise, these instances should be few and far between.

Every day preventive care

About 600 strains of bacteria live in the warm moist environment of your oral cavity. Some are beneficial, while others feast on sugars and starches in foods you eat. They excrete acids that irritate gum tissue leading to gingivitis and cavities.

It takes only about two minutes to brush your teeth, tongue, and mouth after meals. Use a soft-bristled brush and non-abrasive toothpaste. Harder is NOT better. Aggressive brushing damages delicate soft tissues, increasing risk of gum disease. It can also scratch teeth, creating grooves that trap stains.

Brushing, even with excellent technique, reaches only about 70 percent of tooth surfaces. Clean the other 30 percent with gentle but thorough flossing before bedtime.

Preventive dentistry is more than a cleaning

Preventative hygiene delivers benefits to teeth and gums by preserving healthy oral structure, and decreasing risk factors for other conditions and diseases throughout the body. Regular cleanings are the only way to remove harmful tartar that can accumulate under and along the gum line that would ultimately lead to gum disease, as well as other complications. Examinations allow us to detect and address wear, cracks, or decay before they progress to a painful condition.

Procopio Towle Dental Office utilizes digital x-ray technology for safe and thorough evaluation of teeth above and below the gum line. Through placement of a small sensor, images are collected and instantly fed to a computer to provide more complete information for the dentist. This aids in accurate diagnosis and exposes patients to less radiation than traditional methods. These digital images can be enhanced for greater detail and stored easily for further assessments.

Regular hygiene visits to Procopio Towle Dental Office:

  • Keep your smile dazzling – Hygienists use special instruments to remove plaque and stains from places you cannot reach with home care. They also get rid of hardened plaque and tartar at the gum line that contributes to gum disease.
  • Monitor oral health – This is the dentist’s opportunity to intercept dental problems early, when they can be treated most effectively.
  • Watch for signs of disease – Many systemic diseases such as diabetes show early symptoms in the mouth.
  • Control gum disease – Everyone should have at least one professional cleaning each year, and three is ideal. More frequent regular cleanings may be necessary to manage gum disease and help you avoid the need for more invasive treatments.

We believe that by working together on preventative oral hygiene, we will be able to assist you in enjoying a lifetime of beauty and health. Contact Procopio Towle Dental Office in Walnut Creek to request an appointment.