All You Need To Know About CEREC Crown
What are same day crowns?
CEREC crowns are a dental restorations that can be completed within the same day! This means, you can simply walk into the practice with your teeth and walk out with a brand-new and healthy crown!
However, just because they are completed quickly, at Procopio Towle Dental Office, we do not compromise on quality. The same-day crowns are the same as our usual crown procedures, but they’re ready in a couple of hours as opposed to a few weeks!
This is a useful procedure for all our patients, as it mitigates any inconvenience caused by multiple trips to the dentist – saving you time and money. It’s also fruitful in our current climate, with COVID-19 causing much fear amongst those at large to leave their homes and risk infection. Only one trip to the dentist can make you feel slightly more relaxed!
How are CEREC Crowns Placed?
To start the CEREC crown procedures, we take an examination on your mouth to determine whether this procedure is the best option for you. Once you and the dentist have reached a conclusion about whether the CEREC crowns are suitable for you, we will start preparing the tooth, taking a scan, milling the crown and fitting it – all completed within the space of a couple of hours.
Unlike traditional crowns, which comprise 3 main materials; porcelain, metal and porcelain fused to metal, single day crowns are made of ceramic. Utilizing innovation CAD-CAM technology, our dentists ensure that we achieve the perfect fit with your new crowns, making them look as natural as possible.
With the help of a computer, we can create a digital 3D image of your tooth and crown with precise measurements, mirroring that of your typical tooth/ crown procedures. Once the final design is complete, a milling machine carves a replica of the design to make a crown out of a single ceramic block. The milling process takes approximately 15-20 minutes and another 10 minutes to glaze, heat and polish the CEREC crown. Afterwards, the CEREC crown will be cemented and if required, a dentist will make minor adjustments for the perfect fit.
During the process, your teeth may need to be numbed and contoured in order to fit the crowns. However, we will work closely with you and address any concerns you may have regarding local anesthetic. Gentle dentistry is our specialty here at Procopio Towle Dental Office.
Advantages of CEREC Crowns
There are a variety of benefits associated with same-day crown dental procedures. These include;
- Time-effective: You no longer need to book several appointments and wait a few weeks to see a dentist (potentially longer given the current COVID-19 crisis). You can have a new crown sculpted and contoured within a few hours!
- Cost-effective: You can save money on appointment costs and take less time off work
- Comfortable: these dental procedures are as comfortable as your usual crowns, and you do not need an impression to have one rendered
- Restoring your looks quickly: as you have a perfect smile back within a few hours
- Avoids the need for temporary crowns which are renowned for their uncomfortable nature and inability to stick to the mouth. Preventing decay: dislodged temporary crowns may make room for decay
- Restoring functionality immediately: teeth alter your speech, smile and eating patterns. Same day crowns restore all these functions instantaneously.